|Heraldry of the World |
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
British heraldry portal
Gules, a castle triple-towered Argent betwixt a Holy Lamb, cross staff and banner of Saint Andrew, on the dexter, and on the sinister the head of John the Baptist in a charger Proper, in the base the sea Azure
The arms were officially granted on September 5, 1673.
Ayr became a Royal Burgh between 1203 and 1206 in the reign of King William the Lion. It possesses the oldest surviving Charter of any Royal Burgh.
The arms are based on the earliest known seal of the Burgh, of which a thirteenth century impression is on record. They use the red and silver colours of St. John the Baptist and show the Castle of Ayr, built between the Doon and Ayr rivers by King William the Lion in 1197, standing by the sea.
St. John the Baptist, the patron saint of the Burgh, is shown by the Holy Lamb, who carries a St. Andrew's flag and by the plate containing his head, the latter referring to his beheading by Herod at the request of Herodias and Salome (Matthew 14). The sea in base denotes that Ayr is a seaport.
Seal of the burgh from 1340 (source)
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 2001
Heraldry of the World is a private site, which is on-line since 1996. It is a hobby, which takes much time and money (books, hosting etc etc). If you would like to support this site, donations are very welcome ! You can support the site by donating items (books, pdf, images and other items) or financially using the PayPal button below.
All donations send to this specific PayPal address will be used for acquiring books or other items for the site and not for private use.