From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were officially granted on August 30, 1965.
The arms show the eagle of the Duchy of Lorraine in the right half, as the village belonged to Lorraine from 1259-1766. The left half shows a wall, which is taken from the oldest reference to the village in a manuscript from 777. It is mentioned as Auricas Macheras, in which Macheras means wall. The two wooden structures on the wall refer to the typical building style and the two villages in the municipality. The division line symbolises the Saar and Blies rivers in the municipality.
Literature : Heyen und Zimmer, 1966