From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms were granted on November 22, 1937.
The arms are a combination of the arms as shown on the oldest seal of the Amt and the shield of the Lords of Bilstein. The oldest seal is known from 1567 and shows a cross with in each quarter a star. The cross is the arms of the State of Köln, to which the area belonged. The four stars probably indicate the four villages in the Amt.
The seal from 1567
The area was ruled by the Lords of Bilstein before the bishops of Köln acquired the area. Hence the addition of the arms of the lords as an escutcheon.
The following municipalities belonged to Amt Bilstein :
Literature : Belke et al, 1986