From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
State : Niedersachsen
The arms were granted on July 3, 1978.
The cross in the second quarter was replaced by an anchor-cross, the more correct historical cross for the area around Spohle and Conneforde.
The previous arms were granted on March 27, 1952.
The arms show in the upper part the arms of the State of Oldenburg, to which the district belonged. The acorn symbolises the large forests in the district. The fourth quarter shows the oldest arms of the counts of Oldenburg, which were changed in 1200 by Moritz von Oldenburg into the straight bars as can be seen in the first quarter.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996.