From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
The arms are based on the old seal of the town, known since the 15th century.
The chequered bar is derived from the arms of the Counts of (Altena-)Mark, who granted the village some privileges in 1367. The town became a city only in the 18th century.
Saint Catherine is the patron saint of the local church, built in 1310.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925