From Heraldry of the World
|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Adenau belonged to the county Nürburg, which became a possession of the Archbishops of Köln in 1261. The town belonged to the State of Köln until 1794.
The arms are derived from the oldest known seal of the town, which dates from the 15th century. The arms show in the upper part the cross of the State of Köln, and in the lower part the lion of the Counts of Nürburg.
Hupp showed the arms in the 1920s in a slightly different composition, with the red cross of Trier in the upper half, see below.
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925