|Heraldry of the World|
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt) : Aachen
Additions : 1897 Burtscheid; 1907 Forst; 1971 Brand, Eilendorf, Haaren (partly), Kornelimünster, Laurensberg, Richterich, Walheim
The city used in the Middle Ages seals which showed Charlemagne on a throne. The oldest seals date from the 12th century, and the same picture was used until the 16th century. In the 16th century the Imperial eagle appeared as the city's arms.
The arms have not changed through the years, except during the Napoleonic era. From 1811-1817 the arms showed a globe flanked by four eagles. In a chief there were the three bees of a (French) Imperial city.
Seal of Aachen from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.