Fröndenberg

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 07:09, 22 June 2013 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Germany.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Civic heraldry of Germany - Deutsche Wappen (Gemeindewappen/Kreiswappen)
Germany.jpg


FRÖNDENBERG

State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Unna
Additions : 1902 Stift Fröndenberg, Westick; 1968 Amt Fröndenberg, Altendorf, Bausenhagen, Frohnhausen, Frömern, Langschede (1964 Ardey, Dellwig), Neimen, Ostbüren, Stentrop, Strickherdicke, Warmen; 1969 Bentrop

Frondenb.jpg

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on April 20, 1937 and again on March 10, 1949.

The arms show the patron saint of the local Cistercian monastery, St. Mauritius. The monastery was founded around 1230 and played a major role in the development of the town. The lower part of the arms shows the chequered bar of the Counts of the Mark. The area historically belonged to the County of the Mark, and the monastery was founded by Count Otto of the Mark.

Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.